Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Taking the Pacifier
So I am trying to decide the best way to get Ally off of the pacifier. She has bitten huge holes in her 2 favorite pacifiers, so I threw them away. She still has other pacifiers, but they aren't the favorite ones, so she gets mad sometimes when she has to use them. Do you have any ideas on how to ease your kid off the pacifier? I am thinking that if I do it now (while she can't take one all the time because she can't breath through her nose) it will be easier.
Thanks

2 comments:

traci said...

Good Luck.

I simply threw all of Jeremy's away and had one bad week. Then we were fine.

Brenden didn't take one. Anna gave hers up on her own at eight months!

I took Natalie's away (but didn't throw them away) at twelve months. I gave it back to her almost two months ago because of teething at night. Now I have a problem.

When I decide I'm up for it I plan to simply throw them away and deal for a week. (It only took her three nights to adjust at 12mn. I'm sure this time will be harder.)

As an ease out? Start restricting it to bed. Or people cut the binky tip a little at a time until the child finally doesn't want it anymore because there is basically nothing to suck on.

I've heard people who have success throwing a binky good bye party. Have her put all the binkies in a box and wrap it, have a cake and tell her the binkies are going to babies (really just toss them out) and remind her of the party when she cries for one.

Good Luck.

Unknown said...

We just threw Emersons away and believe it or not...he didnt miss it. I have also heard that you can clip the tip of the pacifier down until eventually gone. Let us know how it goes!

Love,
Linds.