Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Sick

On Saturday I took Ally to the pediatrician because her cough had gotten worse. She has an ear infection in her right ear and a head cold that is causing her cough. Whenever she is sick you usually can't tell because it doesn't slow her down much. Last night however was a different story. She was up like every hour crying. I am exhausted now. She'd wake herself up with nasty sounding coughs, then start crying. I'd go in there to calm her down and that'd take a bit of patience on mine and Matts part. Oh the joys of sick kids. At least she isn't like this every time she's sick.
Last night for dinner I made a super yummy soup. I called my sister to see if she wanted to come over and eat with me, since Matt was at school. She was here super fast because she was so excited about my soup.

Chicken, Black Bean and Spinach Enchilada soup
2t. olive oil
1-2 (or more) boneless, skinless chicken breasts chopped really small
1/2 onion chopped
2 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 c. skim milk
1 can low fat low sodium cream of chicken soup
10 oz chopped, fresh spinach
1 can black beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 1/2 t. chili powder
1 1/2 t. cumin
handful frozen corn
2-3 chopped tomatoes
1/4 c shredded low fat cheese

Saute chicken in oil 6-7 minutes. Add onion and cook 1-2 more minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, or until spinach is done. Good with shredded cheese on top and tortilla chips.
This recipe came from my friend Lynelle.

3 comments:

Nisha said...

That soup sounds so yummy! I need to start working in spinach to get baby some extra iron!!

Pini said...

Oooh, that sounds yummy! :)

MaiTy said...

Happy Early Birthday!!!