Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Benson Michael Horn

They wanted us there at 6am to get things started. They had us wait around until 6:45 before even taking us to our room. They got the pitocin started around 8:15, broke my water at 8:45, and then the epidural at 9:30. I didn't move as fast as we all thought I would. Someone really wasn't quite ready to come out. At 1:30 I noticed my epidural was starting to wear off, but thought I'd be pushing soon, so I didn't need anymore. As I got to a 9 it was just unbearable, so I got a little more of the epidural. I could still feel every contraction and just about every bit of pressure. I think the epidural went straight to my legs because for the next 24 hours I dealt with not being able to feel them completely. I told them I was READY to push, so they got me ready to push. I pushed 3 times and out came the big guy. He was born at 2:53pm. His blood sugar levels were a little low, so they had to check them for the next 24 hours. He was a good sport at getting so many shots. By the end of the round of shots, he was sleeping through the pokes. So this was my longest labor and also my most painful. Recovery has been faster with each pregnancy.

Benson sleeps so much. I am usually trying hard to wake him up just to feed him. I know this will all change soon, but right now it is kind of frustrating. He will finally wake up and eat for less than 2 minutes and be back asleep again. I've had to resort to pumping just to feel a bit better. Anyways, he has changed so much in 6 days. His legs, feet, and toes have gotten longer. His face isn't as puffy as it was when he was born. He is such a sweet, fun, cuddly little guy. We all really love having Ben in our family.

We've only had one incident with Ally, resulting in Ben crying. Ally had been wanting to give Ben a drink of her water for most of the morning. I had explained to her several times that he can't have water yet. I had left the room to get a new outfit for Ben and heard Ben start to wimper. Ally came running in saying Ben's clothes were wet. Then I heard him CRY. So I followed Ally back into the living room and found Bens clothes were wet. At first I thought he had spit up, then I thought he had peed through his diaper. Then I felt his clothes and they were cold and wet, not warm and wet. So obviously my first 2 thoughts were wrong and knew exactly what had happened. Ally was really upset that he hadn't drank her water and Ben was upset because he now had cold, wet clothes on. I changed Ben and then sat Ally down for a talk on what Ben can eat/drink. She still isn't sure exactly why he can't eat what she does, but hasn't really tried to share hers with Ben since the incident.

3 comments:

traci said...

My boys gave four month old Anna a brownie while I was out of the room. She was in heaven. They were proud to have shared. I had a heartattack. We do the whole "nobody feeds the baby but mommy" thing around here now.

Pini said...

What a funny story. I love all the pictures of your family on your side bar! They are so fun! It is so good to know that Benson is well and growing! I was so surprised to see you in church on Sunday...but thrilled as well. You look incredible Tashina! Let me know when you are ready to play with the kidos...I will be gone for a bit, but would love to get together after I am back in town. Your family is beautiful. Little Benson is adorable! Congrats again!

MaiTy said...

I'm so excited that he's finally here. All the pictures are just so cute! You guys are such an adorable family.