Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Are any of you an entomologist?

I have now found 2 of these BIG creepy guys, ALIVE in my house.
The first one I found was sitting next to my rocking chair on the main floor.
The second scared the crap out of me when I found him in my laundry basket. 
I. HATE. SPIDERS.

Matt is suppose to be calling an exterminator today. 
Don't worry, I will delete this post in a day or 2 just in case you get the hebbie jebbies just looking at the thing, like I do.  Matt captured him and put him in a jar.  I had a dream last night that he ate through the jar and was waiting for me in the garage.  Do you think I'm going in the garage today?  FAT CHANCE. 
I get that I am like a million times the size of bugs/spiders, but the fact that I don't ever know what they are capable of freaks me out.  Ants I can do, I know that the black ones can't harm me.  The rest of them.....uuuggghhh.  I will be wearing shoes all over my house today, just in the chance I meet another giant spider. 

So in response to my question: Is this spider dangerous?  What kind is it?  What does he do?

5 comments:

Kim said...

Call the local extension office of Purdue. They have entomologists on staff and can tell you what it is and if it is dangerous. You also might be able to take it into the local office, if you are daring enough to carry the jar around.

Tashina said...

Nope, not daring enough!

Pini said...

I learned that pest control can't kill spiders. only your foot can. So these spiders are coming in because of a food source. Other bugs. So get sprayed and you will see them leave as the bugs die off. Good luck he looks scary! EEK!

Pini said...

now that im officially creeped out by looking up your spider...i think it's a wolf spider. If they bite it is itchy and painful but not deadly. check out my facebook post from last night...speaking of spiders! yuck! hope you get it taken care of soon! :)

Create and Cook said...

(It's Amy from next door...) Ugh. We have found a few of these in our house as well...3 so far this spring. I think they are some sort of wolf spider... I'm arachnophobic (to the point I had trouble looking at this post)...and I'm always the "lucky" one who finds these buggers...and I always end up screaming for Jason to come kill them. We are debating calling the exterminator too.

I've seen them when we've been out camping...so I'm still wondering if they're making their way into our house after the loss of habitat of the pine trees?

Our house came pre-populated with house centipedes too when we moved in last spring. They are a million times creepier to me than spiders...and they are FAST. We're still trying to figure out a way to get rid of those.

We've been putting off calling the exterminator due to my equal fear of pesticides (since we're still pre-family)...but my nerves have about had enough...

Sorry for being a blog stalker...but I had to comment...because I FULLY understand the creep out factor.

PS--I have a blog now too if you wanted to check it out... http://kitchenandcraftadventures.blogspot.com/

PSS--Jason had a good laugh when he found Ben's lawnmower beside our house yesterday when he got home from work. He took it as a hint that Ben was telling him that he needed to mow...